History

1515

Native from the Vigezzo Valley in the north of Italy, the first Mellerio family members emigrate to settle in France to start trading their precious objects.

1613

10th of October, Marie de Medici, Regent of France, grants her royal protection to the Mellerio family, giving them the right to trade throughout the realm without having to submit to the administrative restrictions generally applied. Every King up until Louis XVI will renew these privileges.

1780

It is reported that Queen Marie-Antoinette may have purchased a bracelet featuring 7 cameos surrounded by rubies designed by Jean-Baptiste Mellerio, who would come to Versailles to present his jewellery.

1815

Opening of a store on 22 rue de la Paix. The Mellerio were the very first jewellers to open on this street, recently built under the command of Napoléon Ist in 1806.

1825

Mellerio creates many jewellery items, all set with precious gems such as peridots, amethysts, aquamarines, citrines and topaz.

1830

Under the reign of Louis-Philippe Ist, Mellerio is appointed as the official supplier of the Royal family. They innovate with their first transformable pieces inspired by a naturalistic style such as the “Ivy Front Bodice” and the “Fuchsia suite”. Enamel was often used to embellish these creations.

1854

Mellerio applies for a patent, the flexible stem, a very supple and light jewellery mechanism. This invention will be mainly used for floral and naturalistic creations exposed at the Universal Exhibition in Paris in 1855.

1867

The Paris Universal Exhibition: Mellerio dit Meller receive a gold medal for their creations: a peacock brooch and a rock garden tiara. Queen Isabel II of Spain purchases the tiara, made with platinum used for the first time in the history of jewellery. Mellerio is appointed as official supplier of the Italian King who orders the “Wild Flower and Laurel Branch Tiara” for his son’s wedding to Margaret of Savoy.

1888

Mellerio is appointed official supplier of the Court of Netherlands. For this occasion, an impressive neoclassical ruby and diamond suite is created for Queen Emma. All the past queens up to Queen Maxima and the actual Regent have worn it.

1905

At the beginning of the 20th century, Maison Mellerio created a spectacular series of Art Nouveau jewels on the theme of the peacock, already present in the archives since the Second Empire. Always in search of the most striking realism, Mellerio chose the technique of guilloche enamel to reproduce to perfection the splendid shimmer of peacock feathers, which turn into collars or brooches. Some of these pieces of jewelery have since been exhibited in museums such as the Washington Smithsonian Institute.

1907

Mellerio’s First Art Deco creation: the “Egyptian” necklace.

1924

Models present the Art Deco creations including the diamond and emerald “Palm Leaf” tiara and the diamond and sapphire “Waterfall” tiara.

1950

Numerous collaborations with Couture Houses such as Cristobal Balenciaga, Christian Dior, Marcel Rochas, Jean Patou for fashion shows and various events.

1955

Creation of the “Ballon d’Or” trophy for “France Football”, rewarding the best soccer player of the year.

1960

Mellerio associates different materials by combining various ornamental stones and diamonds in platinum and yellow gold.

1981

The French Tennis Federation commissions Mellerio to create the “Coupe des Mousquetaires” and the other trophies awarded to the winners of the Roland Garros tournament.

1993

Launch of their first watch collection called “Neuf”, (patent granted). The unique and oval shape of the watch entitled Mellerio to win the “Cadran d’Or” in 1998.

2005

Creation of a specific diamond cut, the “Mellerio Cut” (patent granted) applied to precious stones and diamonds.

2011

Launch of the “Monterosa” collection: the pattern of Mellerio’s emblematic flower is modernised and embellished.

2013

Mellerio 400th anniversary: Launch of a High Jewellery collection inspired by lilies, including an exceptional piece, a collar necklace requiring 4 500 hours of work.

Release of the book « Mellerio dits Meller: le Joaillier des Reines » written by Vincent Meylan.

2015

200th anniversary of the first Mellerio store on the rue de la Paix and 60th anniversary of the creation of the “Ballon d’Or”. Paris fashion designer Alexandre Vauthier signes a High Jewellery and Jewellery collection for the House.

Mellerio creates for Lancôme a limited edition of bottles of the perfume ” La Vie est belle”.

2017

on october 10th 1613, queen Marie de Medici granted exceptional privileges to members of the Mellerio family, who had arrived from Italy a century earlier. thanks to this decree, renewed by all the kings of France until Louis xvi, these peddlers of small precious objects soon became the jewellers of an illustrious clientele. 14 generations later, after wars, changes of regime, cross-border travels, numerous distinctions, innovation patents and exceptional creations, the Mellerios are still at the helm of the last independent, family-run french high jewellery firm. Laure-Isabelle Mellerio is today president and artistic director of the jewellery house.
her ambition is to nurture the authentic and contemporary image of the maison and ensure its international development.